Monday, May 21, 2007

Icon: Mariah Carey


The Diva herself. Obviously I am a huge, huge fan and I thought it would be great to feature her among the many icons of our age.
She may have her "ups and downs" both in her personal life and her career, and I know some people may not like her but I do = )
The Emancipation of Mimi became "The Emancipation of Thadie"- the team name I picked years ago when I was a TM. It was not just because I was a fan of her music (since the 80's!) but it was because the time that album came out was also the time I was in turmoil at work. I was not in trouble, but I was getting depressed at the monotony of it all. After a failed application for promotion, I finally decided to ship out.
Once again, I am freeing myself from the restrictions of being "in the closet". Don't get me wrong- I have always been open about my sexuality. But to study again in a Catholic school (Nursing, my second course) and to be surrounded by naive teenagers- it was just too exhausting to be explaining myself all the time. In the province, the stereotype of a gay person is usually a flamboyant, loud, and very effeminate parlorista. No offense to our sisters, but I am not that guy and I just didn't want to be typecast in that manner. I decided being "in the closet" would be the best thing then. Now, I'm ready for my second coming (out!) hehe.
Thanks for the music and the inspiration Mariah!

1 comment:

my-so-called-Quest said...

i'm a mimi fan as well. but its a secret! hehehe. ingats lagi. keep it up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails