Sunday, October 14, 2007

Boys Don't Cry

When I was about ten, one particularly homophobic uncle who was disgusted of my “mahinhin” ways plotted to humiliate me. He had brought two pairs of gloves for boxing (a sport he always bragged about, which he said he was good at, aside from basketball and track and field) and gathered a small crowd of kanto boys and onlookers for his impromptu sparring.

I was playing Chinese garter with my female cousins (naturally, I excelled at this since I had no hymen LOL! and I could spread ‘em wide as I could to reach the garter even when the girls stretched their hands up). With an evil grin on his face and a piggish glint in his eyes, he asked me to come over.

I was puzzled because he never really talks to me except to call my attention when I sat the wrong way (“Sit like a man!” he would yell). One of the male neighborhood kids about my age donned the other set of boxing gloves. “Put this on.” He said.

I was dumbfounded, and a little scared I guess. I was never into rough play like the boys were, but some of the people started cheering and calling my name so I reluctantly put on the oversized gloves on my tiny ladylike hands.

Pow! Pow! Pow! The other kid hit me surprisingly hard on the face and my saliva flew out of my mouth. I daintily wiped the sweat off my forehead, which was starting to pour. My heart started to pound. In the corners of my eyes I saw a hint of satisfaction on his face, like he thought justice was being done or something. Ok, now that ticked me off. I knew then I had to win.

The yells got louder as the next round started. I didn’t know that you were supposed to cover your chin, or the proper stance, or the way you move your feet (but I learned that later from Hilary Swank in her movie haha!), I didn’t even know how to box properly. I don’t have any clear thoughts as to what happened next really, but I just saw my arms punch wildly, aiming for his face. It was like I stood there, outside my body as a spectator, while the other Thad just kept on punching and punching, until the other kid lost his balance and fell on the pavement.

The crowd went wind. I bet they too thought I’d be the one on the pavement. The other kid slithered away into the crowd to where his siblings were, half crying. I turned to my uncle to see his reaction. He just grunted and picked the next two kids to fight.

5 comments:

runawaycat said...

Yea! Way to go!

john be anonymous said...

Manny Pacquiao inspired entry.. hehehe.. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahaha! You remind me of my childhood. When I was also about nine or ten, my dad was so disgusted with my effeminate moves. He was trying to do everything just to make me like him. He bought me a basketball and a jersey outfit. He wanted me to play the ball but I didn't. He wanted me to wear the jersey but I trashed it. He got even more disgusted until time came he surrendered. Now, I still possess the effeminate characteristics, but never I have on my mind to put some gurly stuffs on me.

Thad said...

@ runawaycat: hehe! Thanks = ) How's school?

@ john: I've seen his lifestory the one played by jericho... hay too much testosterone = )

@ pageant buff: honey, we've all been there ; ) baka rite of passage natin yun hehe

Mark Xander said...

I wonder how your uncle feels about the stud that you are today, Thaddeus. Thanks for sharing. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails