Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Latex Ain't That Kinky

“Do you have allergies to latex?” I asked.

(sounds like a question I would ask at the end of a very good date )

“To ensure the sterility of the procedure, I am going to don sterile gloves.” I continued to explain the whole procedure perfectly, verbatim as it is written in the Fundamentals of Nursing. My hands however, betrayed my nervousness as they shook uncontrollably as I proceeded to wear the glove on my dominant hand. Thankfully, I managed to finish the procedure without any major boo-boos.

The verdict? A minus point for accidentally contaminating the sterile part of the glove as I nervously maneuvered it to fit my hand.

Thankfully I’m quite adept at “boka-boka” (as my esteemed Thesis adviser back in Peyups would say, of my skill to convince people using words), and I can almost always talk my way in and out of things. I certainly can put my patients at ease (you won’t hear me bluntly say before a rectal exam, “Pull your pants down, and turn over.” - although this does sound like something I might hear from a date).

It is strange trading a T-square to a Stethoscope. I’m still unable to decipher the Korotkoff sound of a systolic pressure, and the Stet seems to stick permanently to my ears. Damn, kung ako lang I’d invent a new device that will play Whitney’s “I’m Every Woman” and swiftly changes to Madonna’s “Fever” as a mark of the diastolic pressure reading. ‘Di ba bongga? ; )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 cheers to whitney & madonna!!! :)

Thad said...

@ josh: sana sila yung naririnig ko hindi.. thump.. thump.. thump.. ; )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails