Friday, October 26, 2007

On Aging

I’m getting old. I can’t see it yet, but I feel it. There’s this sort of lethargy creeping up and slowly draining my energy. You know the feeling when you’re young, and you are like that Energizer bunny? You work eight hours, travel, get drunk on a party, make out, stay up all night, and still have the energy to go snorkeling or hiking the next day. I’ve missed that, the past few months.

It’s partly my fault, I guess. I haven’t had the chance to exercise like I did back then. Lift weights thrice a week, maybe swim during the weekend. Now it’s just school and home Mondays to Saturdays (and Sundays are spent preparing for Mondays); having a 31 unit workload surely leaves time for little else. Breaks should be spent doing a little exercise and perhaps gaining some muscle, but no, I spend it catching up on sleep.

Of course, there’s also the fact that we get a lot more responsibilities as we get older. One wrinkle per one major responsibility.

“Do we really need to grow up?” Asks Tatat, my bestfriend, the female Peter Pan.

“Of course, silly. We can’t be kids forever. Your tits will eventually sag.” I answer.

Such is the normal cycle of life. My motto when I was a teenager was right: make the most out of your youth. Lose yourself in the pursuit of fun, experience, and discovery. Go on a trip. Party with friends. Stay up late watching DVDs in your first apartment. Before you know it, things will be moving along, and everyone will be taking on their final direction that would take them to their destiny. People get married, have kids, and grow old.

I’ve always thought I’d be among the youngest TMs (at 23, I was), until younger people got in, and the older ones moved on. I’ve always thought Tatat and I would have so much fun getting a place together, but we went our separate ways. I’ve always thought I’d be that young cute guy you see at a party, until I see my nephews and nieces, who overnight turned into young men and women, at the same party.

Time to move on and take on new roles. They say age is nothing but a number, but I know it catches up with you eventually. Hello arthritis!

I was never the same person I was again. But now I don’t mind it that much. The discovery continues, only now I take on adventures of a different nature. And oh, those wrinkles? Just in case my face creams won’t work, I’ll just welcome them. The lines on our faces tell the stories of our lives, and I think I have a pretty interesting one to tell.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails