Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Conversation With an Angel (Part 2)

I had just finished showering and I was putting on my boxers when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“Eeeeek!” I jumped.

“You still scream like a little girl. Hardly anything changed since you were twelve.” Amiel, my angel said.

“Oh Geez, would you please announce yourself and not jump on me like that? It’s weird because you’re an angel and I’m not dressed properly.” I lectured.

“Relax, I’ve seen you in practically every setting since you came out of your Mom’s womb. Nothing about you surprises me anymore.” He sits on my bed.

“He was here, you know.”

“D?” (A nickname we gave the fallen angel.)

“Yup.”

“How was he?”

“Very cute. He looked Brazilian- like Rafael Verga or Leandro Okabe.”

“He probably read your mind and appeared in the most pleasing appearance he could muster.

“He should have come in the person of my hubby.”

Amiel chuckles. “Don’t start with the Mrs. Mullaly bit. You rely too much on appearances to tell you what’s good and what’s bad. Your eyes are rarely correct.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“The best things in life can’t be seen by the eyes. Love, freedom, friendships.. What does your favorite song say about lasting happiness?”

“Which song? Freedom 90 by George Michael?”

“No, Thad, your real favorite song.”

“In your eyes?” I racked my brains, I had a lot of favorites.

“Come on, Dorina, say it.”

“Ah, Bituing Walang Ningning.” I smiled. “Guilty!”

“Why do you love it so much?”
“She gives up fame and its temporary happiness to be at his side.

“Ugh, you really are a hopeless romantic. Nevertheless, you got the point.”

“I have a question.” I said.

“This is not gonna be another one of those sex questions, right? He said.

“No, I was feeling a bit lonely earlier. I was thinking again of where I could be now if I didn’t quit. Would have I gotten the ACCM job by now?”

“I’m not a fortune teller, but it would not be far-fetched to say you might have made it by this time.”

“Would I have been happy?”

“I can’t answer that for you.” He said.

“I have a question for you,” Amiel said, turning to me.

“What were the most significant things you have done after you quit your job?”

“I was there for my nephew’s birth, I help around the household, I take care of my grandmother, I went back to school.”

“Not bad.” He says. “So why are you doubtful?”

“You think I’ve made the right decisions this time around?” I asked seriously.

But he didn’t answer my question; he just smiled at me and disappeared.

2 comments:

cant_u_read said...

the only wrong decisions are those that we didn't learn from. i think.

Thad said...

@ cant_u_read: I agree Rye, we eventually find our way. In my case, I could finally look back and say I had no regrets.. but I still have those moments sometimes when I ask myself what if.. ; )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails