Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Not my Day

Date: April 23, 2008
Mood: Irate
Song: Smack my Bitch up

I arrived home in a huffy state because of two reasons: first, our household help (who is prone to histrionics and Demi Moore-type tearful outbursts) had gone AWOL and was not replying or picking up when we try to get in touch, and second, my brother sent money via XOOM without giving me the secret word (ergo the money cannot be claimed).

If only Gavin was old enough so he won’t desperately need as much looking-after as he does now at one year, if only I wasn’t always busy with school, if only Nanay didn’t need as much assistance because of her age, I would have fired her sorry ass. Don’t get me wrong, she’s not entirely incompetent- in fact, she does her chores well. But the drama has to go. She has the uncanny ability to look trustworthy, stable, and dependable to my parents when there are here, hence they think she is a “gem”. Little do they know of the gossiping, backstabbing, and all the backtalk. This AWOL is the last straw, if you ask me, but then again I’m not the employer and it’s not my money paying her. I have no “say” on this.

Situation two: there I was in Cebuana Lhuilier calling my mom and all the phone numbers my brother had in Japan (three cell phones and a landline). I had the option to claim XOOM at either BPI or Equitable Banks (though it is not advisable because of the long lines) or Cebuana Branches, which are numerous in the downtown area. Option two is less desirable because I was wearing my uniform and all, and being in a pawnshop, people must think “Oh that poor guy, he must be pawning off everything he owns tsk tsk.” And so I filled up the forms, ducking and praying no one would see me and then this happened:

“Sir, an secret word?”

“Tubol.” (Waray readers, I suspect are now laughing. Non-waray readers, ask someone) I said in a hushed voice.

“Kulang pa, Sir.”

“What?”

“Kulang pa an secret word.”

“Does it have the word Dimple?”

She shook her head.

“Kuya?”

She shook her head again. It was like a gameshow, and I was on the brink of losing.

I called my Mom in the US. “Ma! Can you call Ted with all the numbers you have? I’ve tried calling all his mobile numbers and none of them work.”

So the next 5 minutes were spent trying all of Ted’s number. Finally, I decided to try the landline number.

Ring. Ring.

“Hello?” A female voice with an American accent answered.

“Ted?”

She put the phone down.

Bitch!

Ring. Ring.

“Hello?”

“Is Theodore there?”

“I’m sorry you have the wrong number.”

Good thing she hung up quickly, because the next words that came out of my mouth were a slew of obscenities in Waray.

Bulikatimiroy nga yawa ka!”

I forced a smile. “I’m so sorry; I’ll just check my e-mail and come back later. Maybe my brother sent me the details.”

“Is that your kuya?”

“No, I’m his kuya.”

“How come your younger brother and parents are abroad but you?”

None of your business bitch.

I smiled thinly before turning my back to her to head home.

“It’s a long story.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ei Thad, that could've been my worst day realized.

Email me the Waray word coz I'm very much interested in knowing.

That bitchy girl deserves a knife on her throat. First of all, its none of her beezwax, and second of all, it's not in her job description to mingle with her clients' life.

Smile about it, don't ruin your day and just have fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Relax lang, Thad. Hinga ng malalim.

Dabo said...

he he he.. tubol means.. "ebs" lol. delayed reaction ako..

and bul------- is pucha.. pero yung original..

---- --

cant_u_read said...

hahaha!

kumportable syang maging adelentada!

Thad said...

@ remcyl: i got over it an hour after the incident ; )

@ rhodge: (deep breath) thanks dude : )

@ dabo: tama! hehe

@ rye: interview portion daw yun ate ; )

chase / chubz said...

hahaha.. natatawa ako dun sa tubol.. hahaha
ano ba tubol sa waray?
sa bisaya kc diba matigas na poop..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails