Sunday, March 21, 2010

Idiot-proof Cooking and Creative Writing (Dish #3: Adobong Pusit)

I remember once when Mama asked me to help make a sponge cake, and for some reason- whether it was the mixing part or the sifting part or the baking part, the entire cake collapsed. The center part of the cake caved in while the sides were relatively firm. That was my last attempt at baking. I despised using measuring cups and spoons- apparently accuracy was not on top of my list, so I left the baking for good to my Mom who was more adept with measurements.

My grandmother, on the other hand was good with estimates. If you notice my recipes, there are hardly measurements- it is because when my grandmother cooks, she usually fine-tunes the taste on the spot. As if by magic, she always knows how much seasoning or which herbs to use. That's 75 years of cooking experience in action, I suppose.

Growing up in a coastal community, there was always fish and other seafood on the table. Strangely enough, I've never grown tired of it because even when I visit the highlands I always find myself veering toward the seafood aisle in the supermarket. Squid has always been a favorite, and believe me I've tasted it in almost all possible ways of preparation- even slicing raw squid, dipping it in vinegar, and eating it (courtesy of the fishermen on my aunt's boat when we hitched a ride in their fishing boat once during my childhood). The dish I'll prepare tonight is more classic though- Adobong Pusit.

ADOBONG PUSIT

Ingredients:
1. 1/2 kilo medium sized fresh squid
2. Vinegar
3. Soy sauce
4. Cooking oil
5. Garlic
6. Onions
7. Brown sugar


Procedure:

Clean squid and slice into rings or small pieces (note that this would shrink once its cook so don't overdo it). Mince the garlic and onions. Heat the pan and add the cooking oil, then, yup you guessed it- sauté, sauté, sauté! Walang katapusang gisa. Then add the sliced squid and vinegar. Bring this to a boil, then add the soy sauce.

This part is optional but hey, we won't be pinoy unless we like it sweet right? Add a few tablespoons of brown sugar according to taste. Mix well, allow to simmer in low fire for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally. When squid is tender or malapot na ang sabaw (shit I don't know how to say that the Martha Stewart way.. hmm wait till the mixture is viscous? ay basta yun na yun!), stir and serve.

Image source

2 comments:

Quentin X said...

The phrase is "when the sauce thickens"

Thad said...

@Quentin X: Got it, thanks for the help ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails